Thursday, January 14, 2010

Purple and Red Potato, Granny Smith Apple and Cheddar Cheese Soup


I  love  the  farmers  market  because  I  can  go  there  with  nothing  in  mind  and  walk  away with a  million  ideas.  Also everything is seasonal so you know its fresh and organic. I could  go  on  for  hours,  days  even  of  the  importance of  grow local, think global and supporting small industry but I am assuming you are an intelligent person. Today  I  went to  a  rather  small  market  near Colombia University.  There were 4 different  stands,  one had  a  variety of potatoes, one had a variety of apples,  one  had  a  variety of cheeses  made  by  an  Amish dude, one had  bread .  If  you  take one  component from each of these you can make a  delicious, local, organic, sustainable , seasonal and  whatever  other hippie  green Eco friendly termed soup.  So  I  filled  my  recycled hemp flax Guatemalan bag with purple, red and yellow potatoes,  granny smith apples, cheddar cheese (from  the  Amish dude),  red and yellow onions and a loaf of  crusty bread.  I  walked  back to my  kitchen in  my  Birkenstock and llama wool socks and, after  giving  thanks to the  harvest gnomes,  I put on my Andean Chefs hat with the  natural dye useless ear flaps.  The cheddar, pommes and pomme de tere combo ,  for  some  strange  reason,  works  deliciously.  Besides looking  like  the  Benetton of soups,  multiple colors of vegetables and fruits deliver different vitamins and minerals.


2  green  granny smith apples
2 of each purple, red and yellow potatoes
1 red onion
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic

Peel  and saute all of  these  in a  stock pot adding salt and pepper  to  taste.
Add
1 quart heavy cream
1 quart vegetable stock
2 cups water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
 simmer over low heat till everything  is is cooked.

Puree in  food processor and  return to low heat

Add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese and melt into soup.
Serve hot with a crusty bread on the side.

Wait  at least 1 hour before partaking in a game of  ultimate Frisbee


1 comment:

  1. This is a most delicious impromptu dish. It has an underlying smoky flavor that is quite interesting when paired with the subtle apple flavor and tang of the cheddar. I will rate this dish an A-.

    ReplyDelete